How to: Brush more effectively
- Use a soft-bristled brush that is approved by the ADA.
- Place the brush at a 45-degree angle against your gums.
- Gently move the brush back and forth in short, horizontal strokes against the outer surface of your teeth.
- Repeat the process on the inner and chewing surfaces of your teeth.
- Brush the top of your tongue to remove the bacteria that causes bad breath.
How to: Floss more effectively
- Break off between 12 and 18 inches of floss and wrap one end of it around your forefinger several times.
- Wrap the other end around your other forefinger and use each thumb on the appropriate hand to ensure its tautness.
- Gently guide the floss between the spaces of your teeth being careful not to strike the gums directly with a great deal of force.
- Rub the floss against the both teeth in a vertical motion away from the gumline.
- Repeat the process on the rest of your teeth.